Tomorrow will be a continuation of a previously started job correcting electrical deficiencies at our client's home in Oshawa. An older home that still contained knob and tube wiring, I found numerous problems with the wiring throughout the house. In order to make the home safe, we have been installing new GFCIs, new code compliant wire and tamper resistant receptacles.
What this job reminds me of is the importance of maintaining the wiring in your home. In this particular home, the previous homeowner had decided to do a lot of the work himself. Well, that was a mistake!! Not much in the home was done correctly. Too often, a little bit of knowledge is definitely a dangerous thing. Make no mistake about it....electricity can kill.
Whether you live in an older home or one that's only 10 years old, unless you know that a Licensed Electrical Contractor has done all of the electrical work in the house, you should consider having an electrical inspection done of the wiring in your home. By inspecting all of the receptacles, lights and switches, a Licensed Electrical Contractor can find and correct deficiencies in your wiring before it leads to a bigger problem like a fire in your home.
About 5 years before coming to work for me, one of my workers had a fire in his home. He had knob and tube wiring throughout and although the fire was started by a toaster oven, when I went to inspect the house, it was amazing that the house hadn't burned down sooner. In order to accommodate 3 prong plugs, the previous home owner had just installed 3 prong outlets but didn't properly ground the system. This made it a fire waiting to happen! Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because your receptacle is functioning, it is safe. It could be wired up incorrectly, not grounded, wires could be loose or the insulation could be frayed...and the list goes on. Don't play with your life....have your wiring regularly inspected by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.